Skip Navigation LinksDOBS > Businesses > Non-Bank Licensees > Motor Vehicle Finance Companies > FAQ Motor Vehicles

Frequently Asked Questions
for Motor Vehicles

What is the license period for Motor Vehicle licenses?

October 1st through September 30th each year.

What is the Consumer Credit Code?
The Consumer Credit Code, formerly the Motor Vehicle Sales Finance Act, 12 Pa. C.S. 6101 et. Seq, outlines all motor vehicle regulatory requirements for licensing and other activities involving motor vehicle financing and repossessing.

What is a Vehicle Dealer (VD) number?
Any prospective new or used auto dealer, or motorcycle dealer must be licensed through the Pennsylvania Department of State's State Board of Vehicle Dealers, Manufacturers and Salespersons.  A prospective dealer must then follow the instructions contained in Pub 459 (PDF), "Requirements on Becoming a Dealer" in order to receive their Dealer Identification Number and dealer plates.

What is a Dealer Identification Number (DIN)?
The Dealer Identification Number (DIN) is issued by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) after they have completed an inspection of the dealership and you have received the Vehicle Dealer number (VD number) from the Department of State.  A DIN number is required on all new Installment Seller Applications upon submission to the Department of Banking and Securities, and prior to approval.

Where do I get my FIN number?
PennDOT issues your Financial Institution Number.  The Financial Institution Number (FIN) is a unique ID assigned by PennDOT and used on the MV-38L (PDF).  It is required for all lenders participating in the mandatory Electronic Lien and Title (PDF) program (ELT). This is not the same as an FEIN number assigned by the IRS.   More information can be found on PennDOT’s website

What is ELT and how do I get set up for this?
PennDOT requires auto dealers to enroll in their Electronic Lien and Title (PDF) program, you can find information on their website.  All lienholders in the business of financing vehicles are required to participate in the ELT Program and must be under contract with a PennDOT-approved ELT service provider.

If I already performed Pennsylvania or FBI background check requests, do I need to do them again when applying for my new license?
Yes, background check requests must be done using the instructions provided in the application.  All criminal history requests must be dated within 30 days of submission of the application to the Department Banking and Securities.

How do I renew my license?
Renewal notices will be emailed to the Licensing Contact email address that was provided on the initial application or on the last renewal application no later than July 15th each year.  All renewals must be completed online prior to September 30th.  You must use the License Number and Package ID number provided to renew the license online at

Will my approved license be mailed to me? 
No.  Approved, renewed licenses must be printed by you by going back to and using your License number and Package ID to download and print your approved renewed license.

For new applicants, NEW motor vehicle license certificates are emailed to the Licensing Contact listed on your application.

** All New Collector Repossessor Driver Cards will be emailed to the Licensing Contact listed on your application.

What does a “Not Compliant” status mean?
This means that you may have an outstanding issue with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.  Approval of a new license application or renewal application request is contingent upon being in a compliant status with the Department of Revenue.

All active Department of Banking and Securities licensees must maintain a “Compliant” status with the Department of Revenue.

You may contact the Department of Revenue at 717-787-3911, Option 5, Option 1, to check on your entity status and speak with a representative to resolve any issues.

How do I change the address of my business location?
Complete and submit an Address Change Form (PDF).

How do I update officers, owners, and office managers on my license?
Complete and submit an MVSF Branch Officer, Owner, Office Manager Change Form (PDF).

What if I change my business structure from a Sole Proprietor to another business structure such as an LLC or Corporation?

  • You must notify the Department of Banking and Securities within 15 Days of this change.
  • If your EIN number changes, you must re-apply for a new license.
  • If your EIN number remains the same, you must provide proof in the form of a letter you obtained from the Internal Revenue Service showing the name of the new company and the EIN number as well as submit a Name Change Form (PDF).