Begin Main Content Area


Where to Start 

Before you spend your time and money on a financial service, product, or company, we urge you to investigate before you invest. Trying to find information on financial services can be confusing, so if you are not sure where to start, call us today at 1.800.PA.BANKS​

Download and print the publication Investigate Before You Invest (PDF)

Researching People 

FINRA: It can be hard to understand the letters that investment professionals sometimes use after their name as a professional designation (e.g. CFA or CAS). The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has a tool to help: Search “Professional Designations” at or call the FINRA Hotline at 1.800.289.9999.

BrokerCheck: FINRA maintains an online database called BrokerCheck that you can use to research people and firms that sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other securities. Go to or call the FINRA Hotline at 1.800.289.9999.

IAPD: To research investment advisory firms and their representatives who provide investment advice, you can use the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure (IAPD) from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC): or call the SEC’s Investor Information Service phone number: 1.800.732.0330.

SmartCheck: To research financial professionals who trade futures, options on futures, and foreign currency (Forex), visit SmartCheck, an online database at the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC): or call 1.866.366.2382.

Insurance: Research insurance professionals who offer annuities and other insurance products at (search “Find a Professional”) or call the PA Insurance Department at 1.877.881.6388.

Researching Investments

Crowdfunding: Research securities offered via registered funding portals at (search “Crowdfunding”) or call the FINRA Hotline at 1.800.289.9999.

Pennsylvania Registered Securities: Research securities offerings registered by the PA Department of Banking and Securities at (search “Registered Securities”) or call 1.800.PA.BANKS.​

Researching Companies

 SIPC Members: Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC), works to restore customer cash and securities left in the hands of bankrupt or otherwise financially troubled brokerage firms. or 202.371.8300

NMLS: Research mortgage companies and other consumer lenders at

BankFind: Research banks, and ensure they are federally insured, at (by clicking the “BankFind” link) or call the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) at 1.877.275.3342.

Credit Union Locator: Research credit unions, and ensure they are federally insured, at (search “Share Insurance Estimator”) or call the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) at 1.800.755.1030.

Insurance: Research insurance companies before purchasing annuities or other insurance products at or call the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) at 816.783.8200.

Banks:  List of PA State-Chartered Banks​​ For additional information and research by bank, go to the FDIC BankFind,

Credit Unions: Find all PA state chartered credit unions here. For additional information and to research by credit union, go to the NCUA Research site.

Trust Companies: Find all Pennsylvania state chartered non-depository trust companies here

Consumer Lenders: Find Pennsylvania consumer lenders or call the PA Department of Banking and Securities at 1.800.PA.BANKS.